Thursday, January 31

ch-ch-changes...

I've read Christy's post this morning, and that got me thinking...

In the past two years, I had made significant changes to my diet. I have to admit, though, that it was my DH's initiative, not mine. We started reading labels on all kinds of foods that we were eating, and with that, eliminating and substituting some of our staples. It started simple enough - we looked for hydrogenated oils and other yucky stuff that shouldn't be consumed (like trans fats, etc). And then, it was anything artificial in the ingredients list that would turn us off from any particular item: artificial flavours, colours, added sugar, glucose, fructose... you get the idea.

And then I realized that I have to give up eating sweeteners. Mind you, I wasn't even eating that much, just one with my one cup of coffee a day. But I learned to love coffee with just milk. That's it, just milk. I really didn't want to go back to adding sugar.

Since we moved to Ottawa a year and a half ago, we started eating more organic food as well. And fish. (We live close to downtown, so we are very close to the Byward Market, where we go to a fish store to buy fresh fish, and veggies from the farmer's market, when they are in season).

So we are eating fairly well overall, I think. (If you're wondering why I'm not stick thin.... well, it's because my sweet tooth doesn't give me a break, but I'm dealing with is as best as I can). And my husband is in a very good physical shape - he is actually always worried that he's loosing weight! I wish I had that problem...

Anyways, since we decided to try and get pregnant some time in the future, I decided to give up a couple of other things that I know are not doing my body any good. Alcohol. It's been about three weeks. I know that I could have it in small quantities (I only had a glass of wine on Fridays, really), but I now choose not to. I figure, it will be easier later. And caffeine. Buy buy my one cup a day of coffee! I've been coffee-free for two weeks... and I'm actually okay! I drink a bit of green tea in the morning, and that's it. My latest drink of choice had been a piece of lemon and hot water... it actually tastes good, I get to drink something hot, and it's good for me!

In the next post, I'll write about my next challenge - re-thinking animal products.... :)

1 comment:

Randi said...

dude we are similar huh? I gave up alcohol too. Never was a coffee drinker.

And you have to join the picture thing! Even if it's scary, in fact the better if it's scary! You'll be guaranteed to make changes then! I'll help I swear!